"This is how we know what love is, that Christ laid down His life for us, so we too should lay down our lives for others." 1 John 3:16

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Jesus



Three months of no work. I (Jason) find it super weird to have so much free time. I find myself, reading, playing computer games, worshiping and devouring sermons, podcasts and documentaries at an alarming rate.

Revival fire is in my veins. I just don't know what to do with it.

God gave me a word of knowledge today at church.

It was the "super bowl sunday" of sunday mornings...easter. It started like most. Cierra left early for worship practice, leaving me to embrace the morning at my own speed and cadence. I arrived at church about 30 mins before kick-off, greeted a handful of people and then proceeded to the little aquarium of a prayer room we have, where every person in the sanctuary can see you sitting next to the larger-than-life tile mosaic cross leaning against the wall.

I spent a few minutes outwardly verbalizing the conversation I'd started early that morning with Jesus. He is such a rad friend. I was joined by our churches ruggedly handsome, Scottish intercessor, Scottie. Its good to share air space with a guy like this. It blesses me every time. During this time I had missed a call from an old friend, so i quickly exited the "aquarium room" and ran outside to see if i could catch him with a call back. I did and then proceeded inside, as the service was just starting.

The worship was wonderful and Cierra sang beautifully. Our fearless pastor gave a really amazing sermon, complete with illustrations and only a few awkward comments about his wife. It was coming down to the end of the "fourth quarter" in the service and we were wrapping things up with a few worship songs. Towards the end of the last song I get this feeling like something is happening on the right side of my peripheral vision.

Thats when it happened.

It litteraly happened in a heartbeat as a moved my head only slightly to my right. It felt like the after-image you sometimes get when you look at a bright light and then close your eyes suddenly. In the moment it took to move my head a few inches to the right i clearly saw the outlined image of the man across the isle from me, worshiping. This outlined replica of the man was about 2 feet taller then the man himself and he had the worlds best posture, shoulders back and chest out, exuding confidence. The impression i was getting from God, was that the man had some sort of back problem or injury and that God wanted to straighten him out.

Think back to that one time when, upon arriving at your good friends house for dinner you are warmly greeted at the door with a hug and the pleasant aromas of dinner, just out from the oven. You feel all warm inside and as if that wasn't enough, they hand you a glass of wine to keep you company until all the rest of the guests arrive. Now, in anticipation of this very meal now teasing your senses you had decided to completely skip lunch. No big deal. But in the comfortable presence of your friends you had already nearly finished that same entire glass of wine with little to nothing in your poor little tummy. You start to feel a little "warm" as the alcohol begins to run its course through your body. You feel entirely safe, surrounded by friends, but a little loose and not really expecting it.

This is how I felt, standing there in the middle of worship with the image I had seen on repeat, flashing through my head. I wasn't really expecting it and at that point wasn't really sure I wanted it.

I knew I needed to do something.

In hindsight I've learned a few things.
1 Corinthians 1:27
"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong."

God's kingdom is an upside down kingdom. The meek inherit everything. The ones who mourn are comforted. The ones pour in spirit get the kingdom of God.

The very first "church service" ever held saw 3,000 people give their hearts to Jesus. How, you may ask?

Drunkenness.

The Spirit of God so filled each of the 120 gathered in the upper room on Pentecost that they drew a crowd of people perplexed by their apparent drunkenness at 10:00 in the morning! This vast assortment of people from different regions of the known world were hearing the wonders of God proclaimed in their own specific language. It wasn't until Peter stood up to addressed the crowd with an explanation that God was glorified and the harvest reaped.

Like I was saying, in hindsight, I never would of had the courage to approach this man after worship if it weren't for the dose of courage i now felt running through my veins. I literally felt a little numb but full of joy. God loves to bring us to that point of utter reliance on Him. We may feel completely foolish in that moment but God just smiles and nods in the direction we need to go.

Worship is done, so i make my way across the isle, hoping I don't stumble. How embarrassing would THAT be?!

Moment of truth.

I tapped him on the shoulder and asked, "I know this is really random, but do you happen to have any back problems or stuff going on in your lower back?"

He sort of looked at me with a half grin and replied,"Yes, actually I do...".

I introduced myself, explained what i felt like God had showed me and then continued to pray for him right there, as he was sitting.

I declared the love of God over him and commanded healing to whatever condition ailed his lower back. We then parted ways.

Well, I really hope God does something really miraculous for this guy. Selfishly, I kind of want to know if something does happen. In the end, I'll be ok if I don't hear a thing.

Side note: My wife is super amazing and really wonderful on the ol' eyes!






1 comment:

  1. Hey man! This is Jason from in NC (currently Scotland, though). I'm so stoked about what God was doing through you that day! I don't think I'm alone is saying that words of knowledge are pretty much the coolest thing ever :p. So encouraged and glad about what God is doing :D Hope to hear from you one of these days soon. Your fellow 'healer' -Jason ;)

    ReplyDelete